Report to: Principal and Athletic Director
Primary Responsibilities for Coaching & Instruction:
- Provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences in the core academic subject area assigned to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Enable students to develop competencies and skills to function successfully in society.
- Provide instruction and coach students to develop skills and ability to excel in assigned sport(s). Contribute to education program as a whole and to growth of students involved in athletics.
- Knowledge of coaching techniques and procedures
- Knowledge of University Interscholastic League (UIL) rules
- Ability to instruct and supervise student athletes
- Ability to pass U.S. Department of Transportation alcohol and drug tests and annual physical
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Athletic Program Management:
- Develop and implement lesson plans that fulfill the requirements of district's curriculum program.
- Plan, prepare and deliver instructional activities.
- Conduct assessment of student learning styles and use results to plan instructional activities.
- Work cooperatively with special education teachers to modify curricula as needed for special education students according to guidelines established in Individual Education Plans (IEP).
- Work with other member of staff to determine instructional goals, objectives, and methods according to district requirements.
- Establish performance criteria under the direction of the athletic director for competition and evaluate students’ athletic abilities initially and on a regular basis. Model performance criteria and physical movements required for successful student performance of sport.
- Take all necessary precautions to protect student athletes, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Work with athletic director to schedule competitions and plan season activities including practices, special events, and tournaments.
- Coordinate with transportation department for travel arrangements to out-of-town events.
- Be certified or within one year obtain the required CDL School Bus Drivers Certification in order to transport students to events.
- Ensure compliance with all UIL rules.
- Monitor and enforce student eligibility criteria for extracurricular participation.
- Develop and coordinate a continuing evaluation of coaching program and make changes based on findings.
- Accompany and supervise student athletes during athletic competitions in assigned sports both at-home and on out-of-town trips.
- Instruct and advise students on NCAA regulations with regard to academic requirements for scholarships and recruiting practices.
- Apply and enforce student discipline during athletic contests, practice sessions, and while on trips off school property in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Encourage, by example and through instruction, sportsmanlike conduct in all phases of athletic participation.
Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, and teachers.