Reports to: Principal and Athletic Director
Primary Responsibilities for Coaching & Instruction:
- Provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences in the core academic subject area assigned to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth.
- Enable students to develop competencies and skills to function successfully in society.
- Provide instruction and coach students to develop skills and ability to excel in assigned sport(s).
- Contribute to education program as a whole and to growth of students involved in athletics.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Athletic Program Management:
- Develop and implement lesson plans that fulfill the requirements of district's curriculum program.
- Plan, prepare and deliver instructional activities.
- Conduct assessment of student learning styles and use results to plan instructional activities.
- Work cooperatively with special education teachers to modify curricula as needed for special education students according to guidelines established in Individual Education Plans (IEP).
- Work with other member of staff to determine instructional goals, objectives, and methods according to district requirements.
- Establish performance criteria under the direction of the athletic director for competition and evaluate students’ athletic abilities initially and on a regular basis. Model performance criteria and physical movements required for successful student performance of sport.
- Take all necessary precautions to protect student athletes, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Work with athletic director to schedule competitions and plan season activities including practices, special events, and tournaments.
- Coordinate with transportation department for travel arrangements to out-of-town events.
- Be certified or within one year obtain the required CDL School Bus Drivers Certification in order to transport students to events.
- Ensure compliance with all UIL rules.
- Monitor and enforce student eligibility criteria for extracurricular participation.
- Develop and coordinate a continuing evaluation of coaching program and make changes based on findings.
- Accompany and supervise student athletes during athletic competitions in assigned sports both at-home and on out-of-town trips.
- Instruct and advise students on NCAA regulations with regard to academic requirements for scholarships and recruiting practices.
- Apply and enforce student discipline during athletic contests, practice sessions, and while on trips off school property in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Encourage, by example and through instruction, sportsmanlike conduct in all phases of athletic participation.
Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, and teachers